My career has been quite varied over the years. I started out working in information technology just after the turn of the century – delivering systems and managing infrastructures. A few years later I was given the opportunity to deliver more communication driven platforms and projects, which eventually led to me working in digital marketing on a full time basis.
Most recently at Derwent Living I’ve made significant changes the way services are delivered, helping to shift thousands of calls to custom-built online systems. I’ve also saved significant amounts of money at the same time by bringing previously procured external services in-house.
Click on each one of the jobs below to find out what I got up to.
Places for People - March 2021 - October 2021.
Derwent Living - September 2020 to March 2021.
Derwent Living - July 2013 to September 2020.
Myself - 2014 to present.
Uliving - 2015 to 2017.
Derwent Living - 2012 to 2013.
Derwent Living - 2011 to 2012.
Derwent Living - 2010 to 2011.
Three Valleys Housing - 2008 to 2010.
Three Valleys Housing - 2006 to 2008
Three Valleys Housing. 2004 - 2006.
Three Valleys Housing. 2003 - 2004.
Over the years I've tried to learn skills which are beneficial to the work I've been doing. Operating within such a tight budget at an affordable housing provider has also meant procuring external companies to do work hasn't always been possible, so I've had to do lots of things myself. Here's an overview of what I've learnt and the products I can use:
- Line management and team leadership of marketing and communications teams;
- Strategic management experience with significant interaction at board and executive team level;
- Marketing strategy management, planning and implementation;
- Social media management;
- Event and seminar organisation and management;
- Budgetary preparation and management.
- Copywriting for different audiences B2B/B2C (PR, web, social media, internal communications, management and board reports);
- Media trained with significant experience of crisis communications and briefing for interaction with the press;
- Photography (the doing of) including reportage, portraiture, press, studio and relevant post production techniques;
- Knowledge of a number of Adobe products in the Creative Cloud family including: Lightroom, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, InCopy, Premiere Pro, Audition, Acrobat;
- Strong layout and design skills for web and print - in-depth understanding of lithography and digital and associated pre-press production processes;
- UI and UX design and development for web and mobile devices;
- Video production and audio mastering;
- I can draw and sketch to a good standard.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Windows, Apple MacOS, Ubuntu Desktop, Raspbian, iOS, Android;
- Technical implementations (including installation and management) of Ubuntu Desktop/Server and Debian/Raspbian, Apache, phpMyAdmin, MySQL, PHP, Wordpress, Samba - set up and management;
- Microsoft Office suite of products (Excel, Word, Outlook, Powerpoint);
- Apple iWork suite;
- Wordpress CMS and Tiny MCE;
- Google Analytics;
- SEO techniques, content authoring and Google business listing;
- PPC campaign management and monitoring;
- Social media management using tools such as Hootsuite and Tweetdeck;
- Facebook/ Facebook advertising;
- Twitter / Twitter analytics.